Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cora Rose Ervin Lynch, 1889 - 1975

"Leave her be, Hilda, she'll be alright."  I can still hear Grandma as she and Mom stood by the door, all dressed up and ready to go, Mother impatient with me not wanting to go with them.  I was 3 or 4 at the time, and Grandma sympathized and suggested leaving me with Grandpa and Uncle Pat.  I was Rose's second grandchild.  She had eleven children between 1909 and 1932.

Grandma married Ivan Lynch, both of Scott County, Indiana, and neighbors, I believe.  Except for a short time in Virginia, they lived in Austin and Indianapolis IN until they moved to California about l953.  Some of their sons were stationed in California during the war and ended up living there.  Eventually almost the entire family migrated to southern CA.

Grandpa was a mason, then building contractor.  Another Grandpa said he was the smartest kid in the class.  But they lived in a small rental with an icebox (not refrigerator) until Grandpa built a modest home in Southport, a suburb of Indianapolis.  Then after moving to California in their sixties, they lived in a rental until they died.

Grandma was a quiet, reserved woman.  One relative used the word "apathy" to describe her and said she sat and listened to soaps on the radio all day.  A grandchild said she was very political when young and tore the placard of an opponent off a young girl.  When I was about 12, Grandma came into some unexpected money, and took my sister, Nancy, and I downtown shopping for outfits for us.  Partly I felt very special , and partly I felt guilty since I thought they were not financially well off.

Most Sundays, everyone gathered at Grandma's for dinner.  Rather than a buffet, there were at least two table seatings.  My family usually didn't go for dinner, but afterwards when the adults would sit in a circle on the floor and play poker.  Driving home in the dark we listened to Edgar Bergan and Charlie McCarthy on the car radio.

When her mother-in-law (Grandma Belle) was about 55 and needed a place to live, she moved in with Rose and Ivan rather than with her daughter, even though Rose had three little boys to care for.  Later, Ivan's grandmother, Sarah Arbuckle Lynch, lived with them for a while.

I don't think Rose knew that she and Harlan Sanders, the founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken, shared a great great grandfather, Stephen Sanders.  Rose died when she was 86.


Sue<William Ervin Lynch<Cora Rose Ervin

No comments:

Post a Comment